Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Second Life of Lilies


Lilies stand for purity and modesty, and although it's not so easy to see in this sized picture, most of these are just beautiful. Both the blue flowers and waxflowers from last week's arrangement died, so I rearranged the lilies, what have now all opened, in a simple Japanese teapot. It belonged to my Great Aunt Claire, who lived in Japan for several years in the 1950s. It's the right shade of brown for the light pink.

I arranged these free in the pot, no stones or foam. It was small enough that only about 4 or 5 stems made a nice support for the others. One side had a bit of a whole in it, but I didn't have any more flowers, which I suppose is fine for a quick second leg. Removing all those darn pollen pods was really messy, I still have stains on my hands.

As you may see from the opening of this blog, I have an interest in flower language, specifically Victorian flower language. However, I can't keep it in my head all the time, so I use a site called "In the Garden" which is resourced from actual Victorian era flower guides. It's one of the most comprehensive lists I've seen, and that's why I use it. Even if you're not interested in using it, it is an interesting concept. It's also something to consider if you want to wow your girlfriend or significant other with an extra special bouquet.

Well, that's all I have for now; we may be going to visit a garden today, so I may have more pictures soon! The rest of the lily pictures--it was really hard picking just one--are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment