Monday, September 17, 2012

The Mysterious Blue Flowers

We went to Produce Junction again this weekend (stay tuned for a fig dish later this week), so of course I had to get flowers. While their flowers aren't usually the best quality (they're often dirty or squashed--I don't think they're handled all that well by staff), they're very inexpensive and great for practicing my developing arranging skills.

The first thing I picked up were these tall spikes of blue flowers. Try as I might, I haven't been able to identify them on the internet. Perhaps later I'll be able to find them in one of the field guides. They have a lot of petals when opened, I counted about 15 on one, but you wouldn't know it when they're closed. Next were some lovely purple large asters of some sort, followed by coral waxflower and pink asters. But then I saw some lovely pink lillies. They're rather small, but I thought they would look better with the blue and waxflowers, so I put the asters back.

Due to the amount of time I had on Saturday, and the flower choice, I thought a vase arrangement would be better than going for the floral foam this time. This is a hand-tied arrangement, which allowed me to play with the depth of the bouquet a bit, and choose placement a little more than arranging right in the vase.


I usually take several pictures of each arrangement, from a lot of different angles. Because of the depth of this one, I took several straight on from the side, and then a series at an angle. I think the angled ones came out better--it's easier to see the flowers. The rest of the pictures, should you wish to see them, are here: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/zairafirefly/my%20art/flowers/sept%2015/.

If you can identify the blue flowers, please let me know in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment