Sunday, October 7, 2012

Dinner and Dessert


Last week, I made stuffed peppers for the first time, as my parents had an abundance of peppers from their garden. I made it with rice, sausage, mushrooms, onions, and home made tomato sauce, which I made a few weeks ago. They turned out pretty week, and even DH liked it. He doesn't like bell peppers, but he'll eat them for sausage. The only mishap was slightly burning my finger while boiling the peppers




And then yesterday, I tried a Paula Deen strawberry cake for the church luncheon today, and it turned out very well. It has a cake mix base, but there is strawberry gelatin in the cake, and the icing is a cream cheese base. There is strawberry puree in both the cake and icing, and I've gotta say, every time I use that little food processor I love it more. It's just the right size, it's easy to do several batches, and super easy to clean. I didn't use nearly as much confectioner's sugar (icing sugar if you're in the UK) as it calls for, and the icing was rather liquidy, and sticky when it set, but it did look nice and smooth. There's a whole tomato sauce jar of it left over, though. It was well received, and tasted rather good, as well. It's probably one of the prettiest cakes I've ever made. The flower is a Fuji mum.

The next post will be flowers, which I also did this weekend. And I know I promised one from Chanticleer Gardens, but I haven't got half of the pictures on my laptop yet. But I'll work on it. In the meantime, look up snail vine and take a look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment