Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Thanksgiving Centerpiece



While I have made centerpieces before, as well as dinners, Thanksgiving fell to DH and I this year, as my parents, who usually host, were out taking care of my brother after his surgery. So, she made Thanksgiving for them, and I did one here. I also did a one-shot centerpiece class a few days before, and while not the most elegant one I'd done to that point, it was the largest. We decided to go simple, as can be seen in the table setting above. Everyone had a great time--good company and good food.

Going to the classes, while not always as instructive as what I've seen online, especially from the Floral Design Institute on Oregon (they post a new how-to video every few weeks), it is always nice to get hands on instruction, as well as interact with the others in class. Everyone always done something different with the same materials, and I love seeing all the different possibilities. Our teacher not only provided a good selection of flowers, but also cattails and wheat stalks, both of which I used. 




Here's a closeup of the centerpiece. While at first I thought I might stick to autumn colors, I can never get enough flowers in without branching out, and so went for saturated colors such as the dark mums and the purple status, which really stands out here. 

Up next: Do you like that British blue and white china that so many people like? A blue and white arrangement even minimalists can appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment